90% of doctors visits are caused by stress according to Harvard. So let’s break down what stress actually is and go over some strategies I use in my acupuncture clinic in Tampa, FL to help people take control of their stress!
What is stress?
It’s more complex than that feeling you get when you’re rushed to do something. Stress is the body’s reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or response. The body reacts to these changes with physical, mental, and emotional responses. Stress is a normal part of life. You can experience stress from your environment, your body, and your thoughts
What are the 3 main causes of stress?
At my acupuncture clinic in Tampa, FL I treat a lot of stress related conditions. Stress comes from 3 major areas.
- Physiological stress, like pain, inflammation, nagging injuries & hormonal imbalances.
- Emotional. This could be from relationships (past or present), childhood, trauma, or just the day to day toll work & life brings about.
- Dietary – the food we eat has an affect on everything. Foods that are processed & contain sugar will cause physiological stress on our body and shift us out of balance.
And in the end, the results are the same… these stressors make your body function sub-optimally.
The good news is that you have a lot more control over these areas than you think.
Don’t get me wrong, you can’t make stress disappear but you can take action and control some key factors.
Here are 3 action steps to take control of stress!
1. Have some kind of emotional and mindful practice. This could be meditation, talking with a counselor, having a supportive group of friends/family. Ideally all 3 at various points of your life.
2. Get some kind of regular exercise, even simple walking everyday is beneficial. If you have nagging pains or lingering inflammation, get some orthopedic acupuncture.
3. Eat vegetables with every meal. Crash diets don’t work. You have to just make it a habit to prioritize veggies with every single meal.
And let’s be real, get regular acupuncture.
It’s the closet thing to magic that I know of 😉.
Don’t let stress run your life. Nows the day to take action.
As always, feel free to reach out if you’re ready to make a change!