What to eat to get pregnant
Diet can play a huge role when it comes to getting pregnant. At my fertility acupuncture clinic in Tampa, FL one of the first places I start with couples is by checking the food they are eating. I generally prescribe an anti-inflammatory style nutrition template. We want to focus on eating real food, reducing inflammatory processed foods, control our blood sugar and eat enough lean protein to support the growth of a baby. Let me give you a quick overview of what to eat to get pregnant!
Your fertility nutrition meal template
FYI, I don’t like the word diet, I’d rather give you a meal template. It’s easier to use these key ideas as building blocks so you can make any style meal you want.
- Eat the rainbow – the bulk of your plate should be colorful vegetables (red, dark green, yellow, white). Cooked or raw, it doesn’t matter. This will help to ensure you are getting plenty of vitamins and minerals.
- 1 palm sized portion of pasture raised organic meat or poultry. This will give you lean protein to use as building blocks for making a healthy baby.
- 1 thumb sized portion of healthy fats. This can include olive oil, ghee, pastured butter, nut butters, etc. You need healthy fats to keep your hormones stable.
- 1 cupped handful of carbohydrates like whole, gluten free grains or legumes like lentils, quinoa, sweet potato, rice, etc.
- Daily have 1-2 servings of whole fruits (wild organic blueberries, an organic apple)
- Drink only water (½ your body weight in ounces of h2o) and green tea (1-3 cups per day). Remove all sugar sweetened beverages.
There is no magic diet that will make you get pregnant but the foods you eat do have an influence on your overall health and in the end influence your fertility potential.